Ilanit Tof's cookbook, Seasonal Variation: Wholesummer Meals: wholefood macrobiotic vegan kitchen alchemy devotes it's recipes to a season that is a challenge for many in macrobiotics, but in a way that is inviting and refreshing!
The books layout is so unique that I can't help but mimic it's style to introduce it's contents to you. For instance it's recipes (like it's "Ingredients"):
- Summertime shiitake soup
- Gingery brown rice with spice
- Enchanted broccoli forest with pumpkin creme
- Mellow medley of summer - vegetables with tempting tofu
- Snowpea and celery sunset salad
- Sweet summer carrot marinade in minutes
- Cooling cucumber condiment
- Strawberry shortcake for long summer daze
- or Sweet vegetable elixer
Each recipe is well organized into easy to follow sections: instructions ("Procedure"), options ("Variation"); hints, tips and ideas ("Serving Suggestions"), designed future uses of the contemplated recipe ("Planned-overs"), and an excellent explanation of what the benefits of using certain ingredients are ("All About").
Two items that I left out of the first list are the "CARING FOR YOUR KIDNEYS" (a comprehensive remedy and explanation on how and why we should care for our kidneys in the summertime) and the "Oriental Skin Polishing Pore Refresher" (and now we know one of the reasons that koala bear hugger is so darn attractive! ;-) ). This petite, well made, healing and cookbook is a true celebration of our warm and sunniest time of the year and should be in everyone's kitchen.